Bond bouncer has NZC on the back foot
New Zealand Cricket's already sullied image is further stained after fresh allegations of lies, deceit, sabotage and a cover-up.
Taylor-gate resurfaced yesterday with a leaked letter from new Black Caps bowling coach Shane Bond to New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White, dated December 11.
The letter, its contents damning of how coach Mike Hesson handled stripping Ross Taylor of the captaincy, has resulted in more calls for the board, White and Hesson to resign.
Bond's leaked letter was brutally honest and NZC have confirmed this is the "new information" they spoke of in last month's press conference which included an apology to Taylor.
"I believe the coach [Hesson] has been dishonest in his assertion around the miscommunication of the captaincy split with Ross Taylor," Bond said.
"At no time during my conversations with Mike Hesson, that mostly included [assistant coach] Bob Carter and/or the manager [Mike Sandle], was the captaincy split ever suggested.
"It was clear to me that Ross Taylor was to be removed as captain from all three formats."
When Bond learned that Taylor had been stripped of the captaincy, he confronted Hesson.
"I stated that the timing was completely inappropriate and he had most likely affected the ability of the captain to perform and it seemed like sabotage."
Bond said by remaining silent, he felt complicit in what had occurred.
"Which I believe is the calculated removal of the captain and the subsequent cover-up to save face."
White, who is on holiday in Australia and could not be reached for comment, was quoted in a NZC press release as saying "the problems that arose over the captaincy issue were the result of misunderstanding and poor communication between the parties involved".
However, he also disputed Bond's version of events and said Taylor was offered the split captaincy option on at least two separate occasions.
Taylor was quoted at the time saying someone at NZC was "definitely" lying about him being offered a role as skipper in a reduced role.
Bond yesterday released a short statement, through his employers, NZC.
In it, he said he and Hesson had since met and cleared the air several weeks ago. "We have discussed the content of the letter and put it behind us."
Comments on Stuff.co.nz and on Twitter were largely supportive of Bond's stance and for speaking out, though it is understood it was never Bond's intention for his thoughts to be made public.
Calls to NZC board members were referred to chairman Chris Moller.
Moller left a message saying he was not the person to talk to and that all questions should be put to White, the "spokesperson on the matter".
Although White spoke on radio yesterday morning, he would not speak to Fairfax.
He would only consider replying to questions in writing.
Bond's statement finished with: "As far as I'm concerned, we have dealt with the matter; it has been put behind us and I won't be making any further comment."
NZC's media liaison with the team in South Africa also denied access to Bond. Fairfax NZ
- The Dominion Post
What effect will a potential ban on booze at Rugby Sevens 2015 have on you?Related story: Booze ban hovers over sevens