Northern United extend their superb run

22:59, May 22 2012

Northern United's 5-3 victory over Harbour City in Wellington premier men's hockey on Saturday was their fifth in a row and their second over previously high-flying Harbour.

Matt Young netted twice for Harbour in the first 10 minutes, but Northern fought back and equalised before the break. A penalty stroke then gave Northern the lead but Chris Brown replied neatly for Harbour. With five minutes left, Northern's Ethan Kerruish scored from a deflection, then Steve Crossett finished emphatically to seal the win.

Dalefield registered their first point of the season drawing 4-4 with Transact Victoria on a sodden Clareville turf. After the teams traded early goals, the visitors scored twice more to lead at halftime.

Two Dion Field strikes levelled the scores, but Victoria went ahead again. A penalty corner drag-flick to the dangerous Andy Ewington ensured the draw which was a fair result in the difficult conditions.

The smooth skills of Joel Baker and Scott Barnett helped Hutt to a 4-0 win over Indians, with both scoring goals and setting up chances for their young team-mates.

Hutt led 3-0 at the break but Indians' defence picked up in the second half, restricting Hutt to a long-range Robbie Burgess goal. Shayam Bhana and Vivek Lala worked tirelessly for Indians.


In the women's competition Harbour City took a 3-0 triumph over Transact Victoria with Harbour's new Junior Black Stick squad members Gen Macilquham, Jenna Anderson and Felicity Reidy all standing out.

Macilquham scored first for Harbour and Hall added a second minutes before halftime. After the break, Varsity's defence, led by captain Kelly Sutherland, held firm until a superb solo effort from halfway by Anderson sealed the win.

Some well-worked team goals were the difference in Hutt's deserved 5-0 win over Karori. Hutt missed early opportunities including a penalty stroke, but the second half saw more cohesive play and Suzie Muirhead and Kendall Scott each added to their first half goals.

Karori goalie Steph Roughan was pivotal in defence but couldn't prevent Hutt captain Gemma Coutts scoring a late goal for the bonus point win.

Eastern Hutt continued their unbeaten run with a commanding 6-0 win over Indians. Eastern started strongly with Freya Hawes and Vicki Collins having them 2-0 up after two minutes. Indians fought hard but Eastern were never threatened, being well led by captain Collins who scored three goals.

The Dominion Post