Coach: Kiwis raring to go
Going back to basics has been the goal for the Kiwis in their buildup to Sunday's one-off rugby league test against Australia in Wellington.
The team is based in Lower Hutt this week, training at Wise Park in Wainuiomata as it looks to get back to the grassroots of the game, according to coach Gary Kemble.
"A lot of the players like it. By being professionals within the NRL they never get the chance to do that, especially in their home country, and they relish it.
"Wainui has always had a good name and especially after their (national club championship) win last week, it's good to come to a club that's been around a long time and been successful," he said.
Preparing for his first outing as Kiwis coach, Kemble said the players had shrugged off the side effects of a long NRL season, with most of the squad having had a decent break between club and country duties.
Only three players were involved in the grand final, with Jeff Lima and Jeremy Smith turning out for Melbourne Storm and Steve Matai playing for the Manly Sea Eagles.
"It's just the Melbourne boys, who were celebrating all last week which is fair enough, but they are ready to go now," Kemble said.
There are no injury problems within the team that arrived in Wellington yesterday.
"They are raring to go. The trainers have had them out and we've done a few fatigue, endurance exercises to make sure they are up to standard and they look in pretty good nick," Kemble said.
And, while the crowd gathered at Wise Park yesterday was focused on the 13-man game, even the Kiwis could not avoid the backlash from the All Blacks' loss at the weekend, and Kemble admitted the team had felt for its union counterparts.
"We are disappointed for any national team that loses, especially the All Blacks.
"We will take on a bit more responsibility, the players like to take on that challenge anyway. We just have to show we're up to it and make New Zealand proud."