Manny Pacquiao v Jeff Horn rematch confirmed for Brisbane

Last updated 22:50 21/08/2017
GETTY IMAGES

Jeff Horn shows the spoils of victory after beating Manny Pacquiao in their world welterweight title fight last month.

JASON O'BRIEN/PHOTOSPORT
Jeff Horn connects with the head of Manny Pacquiao.

Relevant offers

National

All Blacks tight five keeps delivering despite loss of key players Franks, Moody and Retallick Black Caps spinner Todd Astle injured in warmup game Adrian Gard spotted at sidelines of All Blacks training - with earpiece in Paul Vautin out of The Footy Show with show under a cloud after 24 years on air Japanese horse Admire Deus out of Caulfield Cup with nasty leg injury The 10 things to know going into the 2017/18 NBA season Bonneval draws wide for Caulfield Cup Former Manly NRL player Brett Stewart wins defamation action over match-fixing claims Transgender footballer Hannah Mouncey has bid to enter AFLW draft rejected Southland Stags finish 2017 provincial rugby season on the wrong side of the ledger

Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao's rematch with Australian Jeff Horn has been confirmed for Brisbane later this year, the city's mayor said on Monday.

Brisbane Lord Mayor Graham Quirk had earlier threatened to pull funding without confirmation from the Pacquiao camp but said he had been reassured at a meeting with promoters on Monday.

"I have had a meeting earlier today which has confirmed that Manny Pacquiao will definitely be in Brisbane this year for a rematch with Jeff Horn," Quirk told local media.

The fight is expected to be held in November at the same Lang Park stadium where a packed crowd of 50,000 saw former schoolteacher Horn upset Pacquiao for the WBO welterweight belt in an unanimous 12-round decision last month.

READ MORE:
* Council concerns put rematch in doubt

Jeff Horn stuns Manny Pacquiao
Fight re-scoring shows Horn wins

Quirk said Brisbane Marketing, the city council's major events subsidiary, would be re-engaged for negotiations with promoters Top Rank and Duco Events.

"It was a matter of Manny Pacquiao deciding whether he wanted to take up that clause in the contract to give a rematch in the event that he lost," Quirk added.

Horn's surprise win over 38-year-old Pacquiao caused controversy, with many observers outraged by the decision.

But a WBO scoring review later endorsed Horn as the rightful winner. 

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content