Big USA money chasing Stacey Jones

Last updated 07:15 07/02/2010

Relevant offers

Rugby League

Weight of expectation no longer burdens Benji Marshall Worry over Warriors boss' U-turn on second NZ side Bad boy Blake Ferguson to make NRL comeback with Roosters Shaun Johnson wins Golden Boot as league's best player Warriors return to Wellington to face Dragons in 2015 Queensland look to bring in more new blood for State of Origin Panthers coach Ivan Cleary fears the worst from Auckland Nines Steve 'Beaver' Menzies backs Big Willie Mason to lead Manly Melbourne Storm to experiment without captain Cameron Smith Former NRL halfback guilty of manslaughter

The backers of a proposed professional American rugby league could offer Stacey Jones as much as $US120,000 for a three-month stint in the competition – if they can make the ambitious project happen.

But Jones knows little of the idea and sources told the Star-Times they doubt the league will get off the ground.

However, organisers of NRL USA did make contact with Jones a year ago to float the idea, and were in touch again last week to see if he could be tempted to fly over to play in two exhibition matches, in June and July, to officially launch the concept.

The 10-team franchised competition was due to kick off this year, but its backer, US league president and former St George NRL halfback David Niu, has blamed the recession for its delay and says it's now on course to start in 2011.

Ad Feedback

- Sunday News

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content