An adorably confused Lorde has won an award for best Rock Video, Nicki Minaj suffered an apparent wardrobe malfunction and Miley Cyrus got emotional at today's MTV VMAs.
"Is there like a specific place I'm supposed to be looking," Lorde asked when entering the stage to accept her "Moonman".
"This is really crazy and I'm super grateful, I want to thank my video director Joe Kefali and my friends who were in the video and, oh s**t people who voted. Sorry for swearing! thank you so much,'' she said.
She later took to Twitter to thank her fans and to apologise for swearing.
ps. i'm sorry for swearing i was very overwhelmed !!!!!!!
— Lorde (@lordemusic) August 25, 2014
Lorde is the first female artist to win the Best Rock VMA.
Earlier this year the 17-year old won the Billboard Award for top rock song for her smashhit Royals. She admitted that she was a bit confused about the "rock" label for the song that also won Best Pop Solo Performance at the Grammys.
— Lorde (@lordemusic) May 19, 2014
Miley Cyrus made sure her appearance would be remembered without even entering the stage after taking out the top award of the night. The VMA for Best Video was accepted by her date - an apparently homeless young man - who stuttered his way through a speech card while Cyrus looked on in tears.
"Thank y'all, my name is Jesse and I accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million runaways and homeless youth in the United States who are starving, lost and scared for their lives right now. I know this because I am one of these people," he said, as Cyrus looked on. "Though I may have been invisible to you in the streets, I have a lot of the same dreams that brought many of you here tonight."
Cyrus' decision to let someone else accept her award to promote a cause was reminiscent of Marlon Brando's 1973 Academy Awards best actor win, when he gave a Native American activist the stage rather than accept his Oscar trophy.
While Cyrus has retired the twerk, rapper Nicki Minaj brought her rump-grinding to kick off the show with hip hop song Anaconda, scantily-clad and twerking against a jungle-themed backdrop. She also suffered an apparent wardrobe malfunction.
"It felt amazing to open the show, and we ran out of time getting the dress zipped up," Minaj said backstage.
Beyonce closed the MTV Video Music Awards with an epic nearly 20-minute performance and was joined onstage by her husband and daughter which brought her to tears.
Beyonce sang and danced in a metallic leotard - while Blue Ivy and Jay Z watched from their seats - as the diva declared: ''MTV, welcome to my world.''
The family was onstage together as Beyonce accepted the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard award. Jay Z called her the ''greatest living entertainer.''
A teary-eyed Beyonce thanked her fans and looked at her daughter and husband, telling them she loved them.
What else happend:
- Pleas by the Parents Television Council to deliver a more family friendly show have fallen on deaf ears. Nicki Minaj opened the show (along with a hardly dressed Ariana Grande and Jessie J.) with a racy performance.
- Ed Sheeran took out Best Male, while ex Disney girl Ariana Grande won Best Pop video.
- Taylor Swift was a crowd favourite when she performed her new single Shake It Off in shimmery, fringed shorts and a crop top.
- Katy Perry won the award for Best Female. She sported a figure-hugging denim dress and was joined by Riff Raff in a coordinating outfit, mirroring Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears at the 2001 American Music Awards.
- The VMAs got serious for a minute with rapper Common asking for a moment of silence for Mike Brown who was slain in Ferguson, Missouri. "Hip-hop has always been about truth and has been a powerful instrument of social change, from Melle Mel to Public Enemy to Kendrick Lamar," Common said. "Hip-hop has always been presented a voice for the revolution." Drake took home the award for Best Hip Hop video.
- X-Factor-formed-girl group Fifth Harmony has won the award for Artist to Watch. Also up were Sam Smith, 5 Seconds of Summer, Schoolboy Q and Charli XCX.
Who just died on The Simpsons? (spoiler)
What do you think of Lorde's new song, Yellow Flicker Beat?Related story: (See story)