Hunt For The Wilderpeople joins the likes of Citizen Kane, The Godfather and ET
Continuing its record-breaking run, Kiwi film Hunt For The Wilderpeople is now officially one of the 'top 100 movies of all time' according to film review website Rotten Tomatoes.
Coming in at number 99, Hunt For The Wilderpeople is the only New Zealand film on the list, which is topped by The Wizard Of Oz. Citizen Kane, The Godfather and ET The Extra-Terrestrial are also in the top 10.
Rankings are calculated by way of a weighted average, with Rotten Tomatoes describing Hunt For The Wilderpeople as a "charmingly offbeat" adventure comedy that "unites a solid cast, a talented filmmaker, and a poignant, funny, deeply affecting message".
* Wilderpeople gets rave reviews in US
* Hunt For The Wilderpeople record bittersweet for Taika Waititi
* Sam Neill and Julian Dennison, partners in crime
* Hunt For The Wilderpeople breaks New Zealand box office records
* Barry Crump's ex wants credit for book that sparked Hunt For The Wilderpeople
* Taika Waititi talks Hunt For The Wilderpeople
* Behind the scenes of Wilderpeople: mud, snow, kids and fake pigs
In typical offhand fashion, writer-director Taika Waititi described the news of his film's top 100 ranking as "pretty Lolz" on his Twitter account.
And while admitting to being "not too sure what Rotten Tomatoes is", singer Stan Walker, who appears in the film as a hapless hunter, says it was just great to be involved with a local film that has done so well.
"Just even being in this film, and seeing what it's doing, not just in New Zealand but in Australia and America and all over the world is really exciting - it's making big waves."
Hunt For The Wilderpeople is the highest grossing New Zealand film of all time, having surpassed the previous record holder Boy, which was also written and directed by Taika Waititi.