Excuse me, I was just wondering ...

Last updated 09:22 08/02/2012

It's been an eventful few days: my daughter started intermediate school, I finally got to change my relationship status on Facebook to something other than "single", my amazing sister is putting me to shame by competing in a duathlon, I bought myself a new car, picked up a new laptop, and my incredible mum is celebrating her [redacted]th birthday today (by the way: happy birthday, Mum!*)

20120208Little wonder, then, that I'm stumbling around the house in a daze and wondering what the heck just happened. But that's not all - I've got questions, and lots of them. Here are a few things I've been pondering in the last few days ...

Who on earth would be happy to pay $39.95 for a Sonny Bill Williams pay-per-view?! Does anyone even take SBW's boxing career seriously? Aside from Anthony Mundine, of course - but I don't think we can trust the judgment of a man who nicknamed himself "The Man". By the way, I'm convinced SBW will leave rugby before the end of the year. I have nothing to back that up, I just think it's going to happen ... which means that, as a fan of the mighty resilient Waikato Chiefs, every team announcement will be an exciting event, like a sick form of rugby roulette. "Is SBW on there? YES!"**

Why am I so excited about the Two & A Half Men S9 premiere?! I don't like Ashton Kutcher. In fact, if I was casting a movie, I'd probably choose Charlie Sheen ahead of him; I've said it before: Sheen is a fantastic actor. If you don't believe me, check out Wall Street. Nor am I a fan of Two & A Half Men, as regular readers will know. Despite this, I'm really looking forward to Kutcher's debut on one of my least favourite comedies. Purely from a TV reviewing standpoint, it'll be interesting to see how Charlie is farewelled, and how Ashton is shoehorned into the show. Plus, there's a good chance Men might be even worse than before. That would be delightful.

Why is Piri Weepu bottle-feeding his six-month-old daughter such a big deal for pro-breastfeeding groups?! Surely we should be celebrating any situation in which a sports star is doing something other than getting drunk, crashing a scooter and assaulting Rarotongans in the nude.

Why doesn't anyone think Chris Lilley is racist?! Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't S.Mouse, a rapper Lilley plays on recent show Angry Boys, just a blackface send-up of stereotypical African-American hip-hop culture? I'm not making a judgment either way, but I find it intriguing that Lilley is left untouched when racism - especially, it seems, in Australia - is such a major issue. I can only assume it's because racism isn't actually racist if it's meant as comedy. Or something.

How much will I miss Nathan on Misfits?! The Irish misfit, played by Robert Sheehan, left the show after the third series (explained away in this internet-only clip), and I'll admit I was concerned as he was the comedy centre of the show. I needn't have worried though: new character Rudy (Joseph Gilgun) is just as funny, and might be a better character all round - especially in those moments when the two versions of him share the screen.

Would I have enjoyed being a fly on the wall at Guyon Espiner's wedding?! Yes. Yes, I would have enjoyed that. Apparently TV3 political editor Duncan Garner was best man, Breakfast host Corin Dann served as a groomsman, and former Labour MP Darren Hughes served as MC. A room full of TVNZ and TV3 staff mixing it up with a smattering of politicians? Sign me up!

Why am I so surprised at how good Frozen Planet is?! When I was younger, I loved Sir David Attenborough's wildlife shows - heck, I still own copies of Life on Earth, The Living Planet and The Trials of Life. Despite this, I've been enjoying Frozen Planet as if it were the first great wildlife series I've ever seen. I'm in awe for the duration of every episode, as though I'm looking at the world with fresh eyes. I love it with all my heart.

Wait ... there was a game of American football on Monday?! You'd be forgiven for wondering if any football was played at the Super Bowl, when every news story since the game is about the commercials, or Madonna's half-time show, or MIA's misbehaving, or Katy Perry's pre-game performance, or Clint Eastwood's political ideas, or Gisele Bundchen, or Randy Travis getting DUI'd ... okay, yes, this whole paragraph was just a ruse to link to the commercials. I quite liked that post-apocalyptic Chevy ad, though I'm wondering why LMFAO are licensing their songs to stupid commercials like this and this. Oh right, insane amounts of money.

So what lingering questions do you have from the last few days?  What have you been pondering? Post your questions in the comments section below, and let's see if we can get some answers for you ...

(*) A shout-out on the blog is as good as a present, right?! I hope so.

(**) SBW lovers: you're welcome.

Make sure you like On the Box on Facebook and add Chris on Twitter.
Or, feel free to email Chris at
otbmail@chrisphilpott.co.nz
This is a spoiler-free blog - please comment responsibly.

CapsLock   #1   09:38 am Feb 08 2012

I'm not sure if Lilley particularly wanted to do the S.Mouse character but I can imagine US networks screening Angry Boys telling him to introduce a character that their audiences would 'get'.

MJ   #2   09:43 am Feb 08 2012

Congrats on the facebook relationship status change :P

And happy birthday to your mum!

Maarama   #3   09:54 am Feb 08 2012

S'Mouse? What about Jonah Takalua (Summer Heights High), Ricky Wong (We Can be Heroes) or can we accuse him of being homophobic - Mr G (Summer Heights High) or anti female - Gran, J'amie King, Pat Mullins, or anti youth - Daniel Sims? It seems African American characters are a protected species. Like all Chris Lilley shows you need to watch to the end and see the humour is actually pathos.

Em   #4   10:02 am Feb 08 2012

While Rudy is hilarious, he pretty much is just another Nathan. He's wierd, geeky, thinks way too much of himself and doesn't have a filter between his brain and his mouth, pretty much exactly like Nathan. HOWEVER, while I do miss Nathan, Rudy is a good substitute and the two sides of himself interacting is just fantastic.

Noshow   #5   10:06 am Feb 08 2012

I don't think Chris Lilley is any more 'racist' than David Walliams and Matt Lucas are; all three offer a satirical take on those characters that are usually ridiculous regardless of race.

I would imagine that they take their inspiration from real life and real individuals (who I'm sure we all know someone like) and are not stereotyping an entire race like the blackface acts of old did.

I agree with you that its surprising Lilley hasn't been called on it in this day and age where the PC brigade attack everything potentially insulting, but maybe his humor transcends even them.

Rach   #6   10:10 am Feb 08 2012

I'm pondering why we seem to have a new season of NCIS when the last one only just finished.

I'm also wondering when TV1 will screen new episodes of Castle. I thought they'd be on the ball with that one.

vanessa   #7   10:13 am Feb 08 2012

Did anyone notice where Anthony Mundine was standing in the tv coverage of the 'meet the other boxer'? Directly behind Clarence Tillman, in anticipation of grabbing him when he lunged at SBW! Can't help thinking it was a set-up, although SBW did look surprised he may in fact not have known about it, it could have been organised behind his back to make it look more authentic. As the TVOne reporter said, it's going to increase the pay-per-view numbers now, and give an additional $20 for each one bought back into SBW's pockets. We won't be watching it, a major rip-off and as Tillman would agree, it's not really a 'fair' fight - 100 bouts vs 4.

Nicola   #8   10:27 am Feb 08 2012

All your events seem pretty cool, so congrats on that. I agree re two and a half men - not that keen on it and don't really like Ashton, but DEFINITELY going to watch tonight and see how they do it all. I think they should have just been thankful for the good run and let it go.

I have definitely been pondering the whole Piri Weepu thing - it's terrible! He's a fantastic role model, and the ad was about anti-smoking and being a good parent ... bottle feeding doesn't affect either of those things.

Jo   #9   10:52 am Feb 08 2012

I love Frozen Planet as well, although it can be hard to watch in places (for example the minke whale scene), but it is so beautifully shot and any nature programme with narration by David Attenborough is a must see. Also there are lots of penguins, they are very entertaining creatures to watch.

Bob   #10   11:12 am Feb 08 2012

The reason you are thinking that Chris Lilley is racist is that it has been ingrained into society that anything a white male does that may offend anyone who isn't a white male has to be racist, sexist, homophobic etc. Yet anything a women or non white male does that offends a white male is ok as they are just asserting their rights.

2 & half men was ok in the first few seasons, now just a generic comedy.

SBW a waste money for fight and chiefs. Chiefs forwards are lightweight wannabes so backs won't make difference.