Your favourite Shortland Street moments

Last updated 10:00 30/03/2012

You may recall that, a couple of months ago, I mentioned that my other New Year's resolution was to watch Shortland Street every evening, starting with its first episode for the year in mid-January and ending sometime after the show's 20th anniversary in late May (or maybe even its 5000th episode, soon thereafter). At the time, I joked that I might not make it, saying "this is a life-or-death situation. Please tell my family I love them."

20120330Well, not only has Shortland Street not killed me, but I've also managed to make it through 54 episodes (as of this morning) and I'm actually enjoying myself.

Shortland Street doesn't aspire to be a top-quality drama - not that the team don't do the best they can within the boundaries placed on them (budget, talent, time), because they do. It's just that no one is under the impression that they are trying to compete with drama heavyweights like Breaking Bad or Mad Men. It is what it is: a half-hour soap that tries to deliver an entertaining 30 minutes each night.

Besides, if you just take Shortland Street as it comes, it can be quite entertaining in its own way.

Twenty years on air is an impressive feat for any show, anywhere in the world, and Shortland Street has managed to do it while remaining at or near the top of the NZ ratings for most of that time. Five thousand episodes is an equally impressive feat: The Simpsons has managed 500 episodes in 23 seasons - Shortland Street has done 10 times that number in a shorter time, with smaller resources. The team make the equivalent of a feature film every week for most of the year.

Anyway, while thinking about how to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Shortland Street, I thought we could make a list - the 20 Greatest Moments in Shortland Street History. But I'm not doing it myself. You're going to help.

I'm sure most of you have spent more time watching Shorty than I ever have, and I'm sure even the most anti-Shorty commenter will have watched at least a handful of episodes. So here's what we'll do:

1) Submit your favourite Shortland Street moments from the past 20 years in the comments below. Don't worry if you're repeating a moment that someone else has already mentioned. Don't worry about details: I'll figure that stuff out later.

2) Next, I'll figure out which are the most popular moments and put together a list of nominees. We'll vote on the nominees in a separate post in April.

3) Finally, I'll run the 20 most popular moments - as voted by you - during May, ahead of Shortland Street's 20th anniversary.

It'll be the 20 Greatest Moments in Shortland Street History, As Voted by On the Box Readers, and it will be fantastic.

All right, enough explaining. Put your thinking caps on and start submitting your favourite moments. Is it Lionel Skeggins getting washed off a rock in 1999? Gina and Leonard marrying in 1993? Or Rangi and Donna marrying in 2000? Maybe you liked the end of the Ferndale Strangler storyline in 2008? Or perhaps you like the simplicity of "you're not in Guatemala now, Dr Ropata" all the way back in 1992?

Make sure you like On the Box on Facebook and add Chris on Twitter.
Or, feel free to email Chris at
otbmail@chrisphilpott.co.nz
This is a spoiler-free blog - please comment responsibly.

Steve   #1   10:03 am Mar 30 2012

my favourite moment is when 7:34pm arrives & there is something else on tv2

Das Boat   #2   10:13 am Mar 30 2012

Havent watched for many a year, but i remember in the early 90s there was a car crash episode that seemed to be the biggest event in NZ at the time

I also enjoyed the Oscar saga, when old Kirsty was the only one who saw through his wicked ways

BJ   #3   10:14 am Mar 30 2012

Carrie Burton giving birth to triplets, Carmen's brain hemorrhage, TP and Steve dying in the car crash.

Ralph Wiggum   #4   10:17 am Mar 30 2012

Just a sidenote: It takes 6 months to complete one full Simpsons episode from start to finish. The comparison to Shorties output is therefore a little unbalanced.

Still, been a casual watcher over the years. Got to give it credit for its longevity.

maz   #5   10:18 am Mar 30 2012

The car crash that killed Steve & TP (I think that was her name?)

Greer Robinson driving off into the sunset on the back of Greg's motorbike

The Guy & Carmen relationship and Carmen's death!

Robyn Malcolm's sister killing her husband (played by the guy from PlaySchool) with a statue thing.

The Oscar storyline. I can't watch the Mantrol ads without thinking of it!

Any scene with Fergus (I saw the actor in a restaurant not so long ago - he is still hot)

Amy   #6   10:19 am Mar 30 2012

Hunter McKay leaving the show is definitely THE best thing that has happened whilst I've been watching the show. He was the biggest spoilt brat I have ever seen in my life and brought the show down!

Anytime TK takes his shirt off should also be in the running.

And the days that Kingi and Scotty's brother joined the show is at the top!

KipT   #7   10:20 am Mar 30 2012

Libby having a wedding-day meltdown before Gerald finds her, convinces her that this is perfect for both of them (overhead by Yvonne, who finally gives them her blessing) and they get married and run off to New York together.

Tamara   #8   10:20 am Mar 30 2012

The shortland street murderer epidodes.

MJ   #9   10:27 am Mar 30 2012

Carman's brain hemmorage!

Although saw Theresa Healy on Go Girls this week and thought to myself 'Christ she looks old compared to how I remember her!'

Anti Shortland Street   #10   10:28 am Mar 30 2012

I've managed 5 minutes (that was 4min 59secs too long), and the best moment will be when I hear that the programme is cancelled.

What rubbish.