Rolf Harris stripped of ARIA Hall of Fame induction

MEX COOPER
Last updated 11:25 02/07/2014
rolf harris
PAUL HACKETT/Reuters
WITHDRAWN: Rolf Harris.

Relevant offers

Celebrities

Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey split Miley Cyrus would move to NZ Robin Williams' ashes to be scattered at sea Elvis Presley's last words revealed Answers lie with giving kids permission to talk How a hashtag changed this picture Efron and Rodriguez split after two months Anna Nicole Smith's estate loses bid for millions Why Chris Martin 'is dating' Jennifer Lawrence Stars and their social media gaffes

Rolf Harris has been stripped of his ARIA Hall of Fame induction after being found guilty of indecent assault against four girls.

The once much-loved entertainer was inducted into the hall of fame in 2008.

The Australian Recording Industry Association announced on Tuesday that it would strip Harris of the honour.

"Following his conviction in UK courts, the ARIA board has made the decision to withdraw the ARIA Hall of Fame award bestowed upon Rolf Harris," ARIA chief executive officer Dan Rosen said.

"He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2008 for his contribution to the Australian recorded music industry." 

Harris sung Tie Me Kangaroo Down with the wobble board with The Seekers on the night of his induction as the crowd sang along.

Six years later, Harris is likely to spend the rest of his life in jail when he is sentenced for his sex abuse crimes that have shocked the entertainment industry and fans across the world.

The 84-year-old entertainer also did a version of Tie Me Kangaroo Down with the Wiggles but Harris has since been digitally removed from the group's DVDs, according to Blue Wiggle Anthony Field.

Field said the video for the song had been filmed in Australia while Harris was in England using a green screen that allowed it to look like the performers were together.

"As soon as the serious allegations came up, we took him off our Digi downloads," Field said.

"The Wiggles are supporters of Bravehearts (the Australian charity dedicated to the issue of child sexual assault) and we are shocked and sorry for his victims."

It is also likely that Harris will be stripped of his other prestigious awards and honours, including his Commander of the Order of the British Empire and an Office of the Order of Australia.

He has also been awarded a Member of the Order of the British Empire and a Member of the Order of Australia.

Under the Constitution of the Order of Australia, a criminal conviction is grounds for the termination of an award.

A government house spokesperson would not comment on Harris' case but said the Council for the Order of Australia investigated matters brought to its attention and then advised the Governor General on whether an honour should be withdrawn.

British media have reported that it is likely that Harris will be stripped of his CBE; a decision that will need to be approved by the Queen whose portrait Harris painted in 2006.

Ad Feedback

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts has told UK media that Harris would be stripped of the BAFTA Fellowship awarded to him in 2012.

- Sydney Morning Herald

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content