Masseur drops Travolta sex suit

Last updated 12:35 16/05/2012
John Travolta
REUTERS
John Travolta is happy one of two lawsuits against him for alleged sexual assault has been dropped.

Relevant offers

Celebrities

Drew Barrymore welcomes baby girl Katy Perry 'panting like a dog' Stars tell us how to go green Jay-Z splashes out for Kimye Richard Gere's glamorous new girlfriend Peaches Geldof funeral draws crowds Lorde's Muppet goes for a song Peaches Geldof 'to have Easter funeral' Kardashian mother 'rushed to hospital' Miley Cyrus hospitalised

One of the two male masseurs accusing actor John Travolta of sexual assault has dropped his US$2 million (NZ$2.6m) lawsuit.

The second complainant is going ahead with his case, however, and his lawyer was confident of success.

The first complainant, referred to as John Doe No. 1, who claimed that the Hollywood star groped him during a massage session in Beverly Hills in January, filed a notice dismissing his lawsuit with federal court in Los Angeles.

The man was reported last week to have said he got the wrong date of the alleged incident after photos and restaurant receipts surfaced putting the Saturday Night Fever actor in New York on the same day.

"The case has been dismissed, but that doesn't mean it can't be refiled," the plaintiff's attorney, Okorie Okorocha said.

Okorocha said he still will be going ahead with the lawsuit against Travolta, representing a second unidentified man, John Doe No. 2.

This complainant claimed that Travolta rubbed his leg, touched his genitals and tried to initiate sex at a private appointment at an Atlanta hotel on January 28.

Asked whether he was concerned about the credibility of John Doe No. 2's suit in light of the first masseur's dismissal, Okorocha said: "Not at all. I'm not worried about anything with John Doe 2".

Celebrity news website Radar Online said on Tuesday that it had obtained emails it claimed were written by the Atlanta masseur to his employers that made no reference to the alleged incident involving Travolta.

Radar Online said the emails were written the day after the alleged encounter and that the masseur was asking to be demoted.

A third man, cruise ship worker Fabian Zanzi, claimed last week on a Chilean TV show that Travolta offered him US$12,000 to have sex while on a cruise in 2009, but he has not filed a lawsuit against the actor.

Travolta's lawyer, Martin Singer, has vehemently denied claims from all three men, calling them "absurd and ridiculous".

He did not immediately return calls for comment on Tuesday on the first plaintiff's decision to drop his legal action.

Travolta, 58, has been married to actress Kelly Preston since 1991.

He found international claim with the movies Saturday Night Fever and Grease in the 1970s, before going on to grittier roles in Pulp Fiction.

The latest allegations against the actor are unlikely to affect his career according to celebrity image experts, who say Travolta has overcome speculation about his sex life in the past without any negative impact on his popularity.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content