Hey Dad! star extradition approved
The British government has authorised the extradition of Hey Dad! star Robert Hughes, who is expected to face multiple child sexual assault charges on his return to Australia.
Home Secretary Theresa May on Tuesday signed an extradition order for Hughes after a London magistrate in September determined that the 64-year-old return to NSW for questioning.
Hughes consented to the order and indicated that he plans to defend allegations that he assaulted five children between 1985 and 1990 while staring on the popular family television sitcom.
"On November 20, the Secretary of State, having carefully considered all relevant matters, signed an order for Robert Hughes's extradition to Australia," a spokesman from Ms May's office said in a statement.
"Mr Hughes is wanted in Australia in connection with alleged sexual offences against children."
Hughes has 14 days to appeal the extradition, but will otherwise leave the UK within four weeks in a transfer managed by British police on a date to be confirmed.
NSW Police sought Hughes's extradition after receiving complaints from five people, who were aged seven to 15 years at the time of the alleged abuse.
Accusations against Hughes were outlined in court and included indecent exposure, kissing, and the touching of Hughes's erect penis through clothing.
"Rather than continue to suffer a trial by media, my client is keen to defend the allegations which he vehemently denies," Hughes's lawyer Robert Katz said after the most recent court appearance.
Hughes had been living in London with his wife when he was arrested in early August.
He played the central character Martin Kelly in the hit TV series.