Hugh Grant wins phone-hacking payout

Last updated 21:29 22/12/2012
Hugh Grant
HEFTY SUM: Hugh Grant has settled his phone-hacking damages lawsuit against the now defunct News of the World.

Relevant offers


Dear North, tell the paps to go but chat with mum first Taylor Swift snapped boarding a plane to Queenstown Bindi Irwin wins US Dancing With The Stars Q&A: What we know so far about Taylor Swift's whereabouts Trade Me's weirdest celebrity auctions revealed Peter Capaldi renews call for Doctor Who in New Zealand Joel Edgerton was told he wasn't 'pretty enough' to star on Home and Away Tom Cruise to star in Mummy remake as part of Universal's monster revamp - reports UFC star Holly Holm asks Beyonce her name Kylie and Dannii Minogue perform together on TV for the first time in 30 years

British actor Hugh Grant has accepted a "substantial sum" after settling his phone-hacking damages action against the publishers of the now defunct News of the World, his lawyer has said.

The actor, a strident critic of Britain's tabloid newspaper culture, will donate the money to 'Hacked Off', a pressure group that helped bring about a public inquiry into press practices.

"Hugh Grant has today settled his claims for damages and other legal remedies arising out of the unlawful activities of News of the World journalists and others over a number of years," the actor's lawyer said in a statement.

Grant, who gave evidence to the Leveson inquiry into British press conduct in November 2011, was one of several high-profile figures who launched legal action against the British arm of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

"Settled hacking suit with NI (News International). 100 % of money plus more goes to #HackedOff coffers. Just in time for Christmas, Rupert," Grant tweeted on Friday.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content