Rolf Harris to face further sex assault charges

Last updated 15:35 23/12/2013
Harris
Reuters

MEDIA SCRUM: Rolf Harris pictured after his earlier court appearance.

Relevant offers

Celebrities

Miley Cyrus hospitalised Meryl Streep working on rap skills Sally Ridge claim 'doomed to fail' Ice Cube: I'm no sore loser Nicky Watson to marry MKR's Pete Evans Gossip mags: Where's Wills? Elton John's wedding party fizzer Chopper's souffle and dinosaur love Peaches Geldof released to family for funeral Peaches Geldof post-mortem 'inconclusive'

Australian entertainer Rolf Harris is facing three additional sex assault charges involving two new alleged victims, one aged ''seven or eight'' at the time.

The additional counts mean Harris, 83, is now accused of  assaulting four victims dating back to the late 1960s.

''Rolf Harris is to be prosecuted over a further three  allegations of indecent assault,'' the Crown Prosecution Service  (CPS) said in a statement .

''The alleged offences relate to one existing complainant and two  new complainants.''

Harris was already facing six counts of indecently assaulting a 15-year-old girl in 1980 and 1981 and three charges of indecent assault on a girl aged 14 in 1986.

He was also charged previously with four counts of making  indecent images of a child in the first half of 2012.

The additional counts revealed include one offence of  indecent assault ''relating to a girl aged seven or eight in 1968 or  1969'', the CPS said.

The artist and singer is also accused of indecently assaulting a girl aged 14 in 1975 and indecently assaulting a girl aged 19 in 1984.

The later offence relates to the same complainant as six of the  charges laid in August.

Prosecutors say because evidence relating to the further counts has already been served on the court and the defence, Harris won't  appear again at a Magistrates Court.

Rather, the Australian will still appear at Southwark Crown  Court on January 14 as previously scheduled for a plea and case  management hearing.

Harris has not commented on the allegations since he was first named in the press in April.

He appeared in Westminster Magistrates Court in September for his only court appearance to date, looking frail and confused.

He spoke only briefly to confirm his personal details and was accompanied by his wife Alwen and daughter Bindi.

Harris was asked by UK tabloid the Daily Mirror if he wished to comment on the new charges.

''I don't think so, thank you,'' he said over the intercom at his  Berkshire home the paper reported.Harris was first questioned by officers from Operation Yewtree  back in November 2012.

He was arrested in March and subsequently rearrested in August.

Harris has previously indicated that he would plead not guilty to the original 13 charges.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content