The first clear picture of convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby has been published by the Austalian Woman's Day on its website - but it has since been pulled amid confusion as to who took the photograph, and who paid for it.
Fairfax Media understands the magazine had agreed to pay AU$20,000 (NZ$21,730) for the exclusive image of Corby celebrating with her brother after her release from a Bali jail.
Earlier yesterday, a Sydney man tried to sell the photograph to media outlets including Fairfax Media. He said it had been taken at the exclusive Sentosa villas in trendy Seminyak, where Corby is staying.
Fairfax Media was told the image had been taken by a friend of the Corbys, who had joined Schapelle, her family and friends for drinks.
But Corby's sister, Mercedes Corby, contacted Fairfax Media on Tuesday evening to say she had taken the photograph and she had not sought or received payment from Woman's Day for it.
The photograph was removed from the magazine's website after it appeared on The Daily Telegraph website.
It's previously been claimed Corby wore her bizarre face-covering garb when she walked out of Kerobokan prison to protect an exclusive deal with Channel Seven, worth about $2 million.
Despite saying no deal had been done, star journalist Mike Willesee admitted that Channel Seven had hired private security.
Guards appear to have been by Corby's side since before she had even met the final conditions of her release and continue to patrol the perimeter of her villa.
The Indonesian media have been asking questions about the handsome man wearing a blue shirt and sunglasses, who was in the room with Corby as she finalised documentation at the Bali Corrections Board on her final step to freedom.
He was with Corby as her convoy snaked its way through Bali and to the Seminyak resort.
Since then, he has been keeping watch outside the Corby villa and, along with a handful of other hotel and private security, accosting reporters from rival media outlets.
The man told a Fairfax photographer on Monday night that he was an Australian consular official.
But the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs has denied any of its staff have been accompanying Corby.
- Sydney Morning Herald