MacGyver creator tries to block film

Last updated 12:22 05/02/2010
Will Forte stars as MacGruber.
ACTION MAN: Will Forte stars as MacGruber.

Relevant offers

Film

Wellington teens have a go at being censors for a day Gillian Anderson responds to 007 hopes with the perfect Bond poster Students' heartwarming short film tackles depression, wins film award Michael Bay names fifth Transformers film The Last Knight New Ghostbusters trailer released Karl Urban talks Thor 3, Marvel and heaps praise on fellow Kiwi Taika Waititi Video tapes still current for New Plymouth man Ken Loach wins second Cannes Palme d'Or with I, Daniel Blake' Elijah Wood: Hollywood gripped by child abuse scandal Six of the best from the Resene Architecture and Design Film Festival

The creator of MacGyver is trying to block the release of a new film mocking the iconic television series.

A lawyer representing Lee Zlotoff has sent several cease-and-desist letters to the studio behind MacGruber, Starpulse.com reported.

Zlotoff claims the film - which stars Will Forte as a hapless action hero - breaches copyright as he still holds the rights to a MacGyver film.

"We feel they're infringing our rights," a lawyer representing Zlotoff said. A lawsuit is being considered to block the film's release, he told Starpulse.

MacGruber also stars Val Kilmer, Ryan Phillippe and Kristen Wiig, and is set for an April 23 release. It began as a comedy sketch on Saturday Night Live.

MacGyver starred Richard Dean Anderson as a secret agent who refused to use a gun and could escape out of any situation with his bare hands, and ran for seven seasons from 1985 to 1992.

A MacGyver feature film has been rumoured for years but so far no firm plans are in place.

* Do you want to see MacGruber? Watch the trailer then post your comments below.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content