The Dark Knight Rises star Christian Bale says his heart goes out to the victims of the Colorado theatre massacre, a tragedy that brought Hollywood studios together in a rare show of solidarity as they opted to give the weekend box-office a rest.
"Words cannot express the horror that I feel," Bale, who plays the caped crusader in the film, said in a statement.
"I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them."
Meanwhile, Sony, Fox, Disney, Universal, Fox, Paramount and Lionsgate said on Saturday that they are joining Dark Knight Rises distributor Warner Bros in withholding their box-office numbers for the weekend.
Warner Bros announced on Friday that it would forgo the usual revenue reports until Monday out of respect for the victims and their families in the Aurora, Colorado, shooting that killed 12 and wounded 58 at the midnight show of The Dark Knight Rises earlier in the day.
The other studios said they also would not report numbers until Monday. Box-office tracking service Rentrak, too, said it would not report figures this weekend.
Sunday box-office estimates are a weekly routine for Hollywood, with studios jostling for bragging rights as the No. 1 movie and always aiming to break revenue records.
Before the shooting, the box-office performance of The Dark Knight Rises had been eagerly anticipated. The film is expected to be among the most lucrative movie openings and possibly contend with the record $US207.4 million (NZ$260.5 million) brought in by The Avengers.
But that now appears unlikely, even though The Dark Knight Rises earned $US30.6 million from midnight screenings alone.
PROMOTIONS STILL GOING AHEAD
Warner Bros has cancelled premieres and red carpet extravaganzas around the world but says it hasn't scaled back promotion of The Dark Knight Rises in the US.
"We have not pulled back on ads or promotions," Susan Fleishman, executive vice president of worldwide corporate communications at Warner Bros, said in an email.
Despite Warner Bros' decision, NBC, CBS and ESPN have pulled TV ads for the movie from the airwaves of their own volition, according to media reports.
The studio, a subsidiary of Time Warner, has however moved to pull trailers from its upcoming film Gangster Squad from theatres.
The trailer of the film, which stars Sean Penn and Ryan Gosling in a ruthless war between Los Angeles police and the mob, includes a scene of mobsters firing into a crowded movie theatre from behind the screen.
Christopher Nolan, the director of The Dark Knight Rises earlier responded to the tragedy, expressing his sorrow for the victims and their families.
"The movie theatre is my home and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me," Nolan said.
Do you want a new Indiana Jones film?Related story: (See story)