Private memorial planned for Tony Scott

Last updated 17:35 24/08/2012
TONY SCOTT: The 68-year-old's death is being investigated as a suicide.
Reuters
TONY SCOTT: The 68-year-old's death is being investigated as a suicide.

Related Links

Clues sought in Tony Scott suicide The pure fun of Tony Scott's films

Relevant offers

Film

James Bond: master spy, philanderer & feminist in new release Spectre Why we loved Wes Craven American film director Wes Craven dies Inside Straight Outta Compton Oliver Sacks, Awakenings author and neurologist, dies at 82 Quentin Tarantino knocks Cate Blanchett's 'arty' movies Ellen Page: Stop calling straight actors 'brave' for playing gay characters Heather Walsh's tale of survival is told Malala Yousafzai's story: "He Named Me Malala" teaser Stuff's weekend film guide

Tony Scott will be honoured at a "private, family ceremony" this weekend.

The film director jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in California on Sunday.

Scott's family released their first statement since his passing this week, revealing plans to pay tribute to the acclaimed filmmaker.

"Tony Scott will be honoured at a private, family only ceremony this weekend in Los Angeles," the statement read.

"The family will announce plans after Labor Day for a gathering to celebrate the life and work of Mr. Scott. Details will be forthcoming once they are formalised."

Since Scott's tragic death, tributes have poured in from many stars in the film industry. Top Gun actor Tom Cruise revealed his sadness at the loss of his friend and collaborator.  

"Tony was my dear friend, and I will really miss him," Cruise said in a statement. "He was a creative visionary whose mark on film is immeasurable."

Scott is survived by his two children and wife Donna.

There has been speculation as to why Scott decided to end his life, with reports earlier this week claiming that he was suffering from inoperable brain cancer.

However, Los Angeles County Coroner's chief investigator Craig Harvey confirmed that the director's family told investigators that the information was "incorrect".

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Ed Winter - assistant chief of investigation for the coroner's office - says they "do not yet know if Scott was ill".

Ad Feedback

- Cover Media

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content