Walt Disney Co. chief executive Bob Iger said Tuesday (NZT Wednesday) that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone ‘Star Wars’ movies that aren’t part of the new trilogy that’s in the works.
‘‘There has been speculation about some standalone films that have been in development, and I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few stand-alone films,’’ Iger told CNBC.
Iger said the movies would be based on ‘‘great ‘Star Wars’ characters that are not part of the overall saga’’.
The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’.
Disney confirmed last month that ‘Star Trek’ director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the ‘Star Wars’ saga.
Disney bought ‘Star Wars’ maker Lucasfilm last year for more than US$4 billion.
The last ‘Star Wars’ trilogy, a prequel to the original films, was released from 1999 to 2005.
Do you want a new Indiana Jones film?Related story: (See story)