The Axe Attack off air for 'technical reasons'

AXED? The Axe Attack DJ and Devilskin bassist Paul Martin.
Chris Hillock

AXED? The Axe Attack DJ and Devilskin bassist Paul Martin.

Heavy metal fans who were in arms over the absence of their favourite show, The Axe Attack can relax. 

A social media campaign calling on radio station The Rock to bring back weekly metal show The Axe Attack kicked off last night and has garnered massive support.

But MediaWorks, which owns The Rock, says the show was currently off air for technical reasons. 

Wellington metal rocker Dan Hayston is among those disappointed at the apparent axing of The Axe Attack.
SUPPLIED

Wellington metal rocker Dan Hayston is among those disappointed at the apparent axing of The Axe Attack.

"We are building new studios and offices for The Rock, and the technical changes involved in the upgrade mean we are temporarily not able broadcast this show," a spokesperson said. 

MediaWorks was currently working through options regarding the future of The Axe Attack and potential return date with long-time Hamilton rock jock Paul "The Axeman"  Martin.

The DJ said he could not comment for legal reasons.

"I'd absolutely love to say something but I just can't at the moment," he said.

"What I can say is the public support has been absolutely phenomenal."

In less than 24 hours the Bring Back the Axe Attack Facebook page has received more than 2500 likes.

Metal fan Sarah Kidd, 36, said she created the page because her queries to The Rock had gone unanswered.

Ad Feedback

The show had gone off air for three weeks over summer to allow Martin, who is a bassist for metal band Devilskin, to go on tour.

However, it has not returned since, she said.

"A few of us started messaging The Rock saying, 'hey, what's going on'... it seems pretty clear to us the show has been cancelled."

The Auckland technical manager said she had been "blown away" by the support.

"We understand [heavy metal is] not everyone's taste," she said.

"That's cool. But you know what, Taylor Swift isn't our taste either.

"There's radio stations where people who are fans of that kind of music can listen to it. But where do we go?"

Today she created a second page asking supporters to boycott The Rock until The Axe Attack was put back on air.

She was also arranging for fans to wear The Axe Attack tshirts at The Rock's concert Rockapalooza in Auckland's Nixon Park on Saturday, to show their support for Martin, who will be performing there with Devilskin.

Wellington metal musician Dan Hayston, 27, said he would be lending his weight to the campaign as he had received support from Martin and The Axe Attack in the past.

"Basically, it's the only avenue we have to get our music on the radio," he said.

"[Martin] is a real trooper for the community. It seems like we should now be speaking with our feet and actually making a bit of noise about this."

The Axe Attack has been on air since 1987 and is understood to be one of the country's longest running music shows.

Martin is among The Rock's longest serving jocks, having started in 1992.

 - Stuff

Comments

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback