Smokefree Rockquest 2016 - the winners
Northland band Alien Weaponry has riffed its way into the record books, having taken out both Smokefree Rockquest and Pacifica Beats 2016.
The young metal heads earned themselves more than $33,000 worth of prizes at the contests held at Auckland's Raye Freedman Centre on Friday and Saturday.
Made up of brothers, Lewis (14) and Henry (16) de Jong, and Ethan Trembath, (14), Alien Weaponry are also the first metal band to win Pacifica Beats.
Avondale College student Iris "Iris G" Guevarra was announced the winner of the Rockquest solo-duo section, while Whangarei cousins Huia & Zaia took out the solo duo section at Pacifica Beats.
* Tararua band progresses toward Smokefree Rockquest final
* Onslow College band Retrospect eye people's choice in Smokefree Rockquest
* Four Nelson-Tasman acts through to Smokefree Rockquest finals
* Young Hutt Valley rockers make the cut for the next stage of the Rockquest
Following the Rockquest National final win, Alien Weaponry, of Bream Bay College and Otamatea High School, said on their Facebook page that they were "speechless".
"Huge shout out to SF Rockquest, SF Pacifica Beats and the other awesome bands who played with us last night. MASSIVE night, feeling numb this morning ... still sinking in ... but our first reaction is YEESS!! METAL".
Alien Weaponry, who describe their sound as "thrash metal", with political and te reo Maori influences, have also supported bands like Shihad and Devilskin.
In previous years they were Regional Smokefree Rockquest Finalists (2012-2014) and have won lyric writing and overall musicianship awards at the contest.
The Rockquest judges were NZ on Air's Jeff Newton, Edge Musical Director Reagan White, Dave Munro from Eccles Entertainment, and Anika Moa and Evan Sinton.
Alien Weaponry have been awarded $10,000 in Rockshop vouchers, a $10,000 NZ On Air recording contract, a video and promotional campaign package, and a photo shoot and branding package from Imaginary Friends.
SMOKEFREE ROCKQUEST 2016 WINNERS:
* Band section
1st: Alien Weaponry
2nd: Daffodils of Auckland's Western Springs College and Kristin School
3rd: Ah Jeez from Bethlehem College and Tauranga Boys College
* Solo-duo section
1st: Iris "Iris G" Guevarra of Avondale College, Auckland
2nd: Sonatane Kaufusi from Manurewa High School, Auckland
* People's Choice: Retrospect, Onslow College, Wellington
* The MAINZ (Music and Audio Institute of New Zealand) Scholarship for Outstanding Musicianship: The Flock's Ella McLennan, of Hauraki Plains College
* The APRA Lyric Award: Byre and Ethan Aish, from Hamilton Boys and Girls High School
* Best Song: Daffodils, of Auckland's Western Springs College and Kristin School, Auckland
* Vocals Award: Elijah Tuala from Ah Jeez, Bethlehem College and Tauranga Boys College
* Dominate Style Award: Half Eaten Pie, Te Awamutu College