TVNZ Breakfast set to dump veteran news broadcaster Peter Williams
Veteran TVNZ broadcaster Peter Williams is believed to be the latest presenter to be given the boot from the Breakfast show.
A source confirmed on Saturday that TVNZ reporter Daniel Faitaua will replace Williams as newsreader and had flown up to Auckland for screen testing.
However speculation about Williams' future with the weekday morning show is yet to be confirmed.
A source close to Williams said negotiations about the broadcaster's future are still "ongoing" with TVNZ.
Rumoured replacement Faitaua is said to have been "hand-picked by Hilary Barry" who herself would reportedly take over the hosting duties in 2017.
Faitaua is currently based in the Wellington office, and is also a backup breakfast and midday news anchor.
* Breakfast's Rawdon Christie and Nadine Chalmers-Ross chopped
* Is Hilary Barry bound for TVNZ?
* Hilary Barry and Jack Tame would break with broadcasting tradition
* TVNZ Breakfast: Sam and Rawdon gag while eating a dried centipede
In early July, current Breakfast hosts Nadine Chalmers-Ross and Rawdon Christie were reportedly told their time was up - in favour of new-look hosting duo Barry and Jack Tame.
Speculation that change was on the way for the weekday morning programme escalated after Barry resigned from her presenter post at TV3 in May.
A source said Breakfast hosts Christie and Chalmers-Ross had learned their fate during a meeting on July 8 with TVNZ head of news and current affairs John Gillespie.
At the time, it was also speculated that Williams would be next to be shown the door.
On Saturday morning, a spokesperson for TVNZ said the network "were not commenting on the latest speculation" regarding the show or William's future with the broadcaster.
Host Christie has been off-air for the past week, with sports anchor Andrew Saville stepping in.
Williams, who also presents the weekend news bulletin and TVNZ's quiz show Mastermind, has been with the broadcaster since 1979.
It is understood Williams will continue to present the weekend news.
The veteran presenter previously co-anchored the weekend bulletin with Bernadine Oliver-Kerby, however in February 2016, TVNZ made Oliver-Kerby's role redundant.
TVNZ announced it would be "changing its weekend news presenting line up to a single presenter for all 6pm weekend bulletins.
"The weekend restructure means that Bernadine Oliver-Kerby's role is redundant and her full time employment is at an end," the statement read.
"The change is effective immediately and Peter Williams will present weekend bulletins solo."
Oliver-Kerby failed to return back to TVNZ screens after the Christmas break.
At the time, the network insisted the former presenter was "still away on holiday."
*comments are closed