TVNZ's Peter Williams' anti-crime plan: no watch, wedding ring or credit card in Rio
Veteran broadcaster Peter Williams will be playing it safe when he heads out to Rio to cover the Olympics next week.
When Nadine Chalmers-Ross asked Williams on TVNZ's Breakfast if the stories crime against visitors in Rio - which have included the robbery of Kiwi ju-jitsu fighter Jason Lee - worried him, Williams was philosophical.
"It just reinforced the security advice we've been given," said Williams, who was rejoined on the Breakfast team by Rawdon Christie after his unexpected holiday. "It's about being as unobtrusive as possible. No flash watches, don't look rich.
"I'm taking my wedding ring off, taking my watch off before I leave home, not carrying a credit card on me, just cash - enough cash to hand over to keep the robbers satisfied."
* TVNZ Breakfast set to dump veteran news broadcaster Peter Williams
* Breakfast's Rawdon Christie and Nadine Chalmers-Ross chopped
* Is Hilary Barry bound for TVNZ?
* Hilary Barry and Jack Tame would break with broadcasting tradition
* TVNZ Breakfast: Sam and Rawdon gag while eating a dried centipede
Williams also revealed TNVZ would be providing its team with "old style phones" so their newer phones don't attract unusual attention.
"It's all about being careful and going in twos," he said.
TVNZ have still to make an announcement on the future of the Breakfast team of Christie, Williams and Nadine Chalmers-Ross.