US show Bachelor in Paradise to resume after studio finds tape 'does not support' misconduct allegations
Bachelor in Paradise, the US Bachelor spinoff, will resume filming after an internal studio investigation found that a videotape "does not support any charge of misconduct by a cast member".
Warner Bros announced in a statement on Tuesday that the tapes did not show that any cast member "was ever in jeopardy".
The studio behind ABC's popular Bachelor franchise has been officially mum on the details regarding the alleged incident of misconduct on set in Mexico.
But after production halted last week, TMZ and Entertainment Tonight reported that the incident took place in a pool between two specific contestants. A Los Angeles Times reporter writing a book about The Bachelor tweeted that a producer who witnessed the incident filed a complaint.
* Bachelor in Paradise production halted, show in question after alleged 'misconduct' on set
* Bachelor spinoff details get worse: She blacked out while they filmed her
* US Bachelor in Paradise star claims character assassination as contestants lawyer up
* Bachelor in Paradise contestant soils pants on television during drunken rampage
* 'I've exhausted all other options': This is why people try out for The Bachelor
"Our internal investigation, conducted with the assistance of an outside law firm, has now been completed. Out of respect for the privacy interests of those involved, we do not intend to release the videotape of the incident," reads the statement from Warner Bros.
"We can say, however, that the tape does not support any charge of misconduct by a cast member. Nor does the tape show, contrary to many press reports, that the safety of any cast member was ever in jeopardy. Production on this season of Bachelor in Paradise will be resuming, and we plan to implement certain changes to the show's policies and procedures to enhance and further ensure the safety and security of all participants."
The studio added, "We take all such allegations seriously. The safety, security and well-being of the cast and crew is our number one concern, and we suspended filming so that the allegations could be investigated immediately and thoroughly."
Last week, contestants Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson released statements as their names surfaced in reports about what led to the production suspension.
"It's unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations," Jackson said in a statement to People. "I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws."
Olympios called what happened on set as her "worst nightmare" and hired powerful Hollywood lawyer Marty Singer.
"Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production," Olympios said in a statement last week.
"As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening."
Representatives for the contestants did not immediately respond to inquiries.
Bachelor in Paradise spends six weeks following "former bachelors and bachelorettes as they explore new relationships while living together in Mexico, in a secluded and dreamy paradise," according to ABC's promotional materials of the show. This season would feature "shocking twists, surprises, unexpected guests and some of the most unlikely relationships in Bachelor history."
Before the production shutdown, the show was supposed to return for its fourth season August 8. The airdate is now more murky.
"We appreciate the swift and complete investigation by Warner Bros. into allegations of misconduct on the set of Bachelor in Paradise," said an ABC spokesperson. "Given their results, the series will resume production, and will air this summer on ABC."
- The Washington Post