Top 10 bad Mother's Day gifts
1. HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES: She uses these every day and every day she probably wishes she didn't have to. The same goes for cleaning equipment.
2. BUILDING EQUIPMENT: And, in fact, any gift that is obviously not for her. That also applies to hunting and fishing equipment (unless that truly is a passion of hers), chainsaws, toys and anything the giver is likely to get more use out of than the receiver.
3. DEVICES OF A ROMANTIC NATURE: It's Mother's Day, not Valentine's Day - as her child, that's really not your job.
4. ILL-FITTING CLOTHES: Don't shatter her self-esteem on Mother's Day - give her a voucher for her favourite store or take her on a shopping trip.
5. DIVORCE PAPERS: Women in Canada this year actually responded to a survey saying the worst Mother's Day gift they had ever received was a marriage in tatters. We all know it's Dad's job to organise the gift if the children are just a bit too young but... wow.
6. ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT: A good rule of thumb: if it's not an e-reader, it's probably not okay.
7. FRYING PANS, OVEN MITTS OR KITCHEN KNIVES: She has the joy of cooking you dinner every other night - it is possible to have too much of a good thing.
8. COLD/STALE/SOGGY BREAKFAST IN BED: Especially if she then has to get up and do the dishes.
9. MACARONI CARDS: These are actually quite sweet if the giver is under the age of four.
10. UNCONDITIONAL LOVE: It's unconditional. She has it every other day of the year regardless.
0 of 0
« Previous« PreviousNext »Next »
She gave you life, washed your clothes and packed your school lunches for years on end.
It's not surprising we try extra hard to spoil and pamper the most important women in our lives on Mother's Day.
But even some of the best-intentioned gifts can go awry and, let's face it, some are just blatantly selfish.
We asked Stuff readers to share their tips on what not to buy Mum today. Alarmingly, most of these suggestions came from actual experience.
The top ten are featured in the gallery above, in no particular order. We hope you've steered clear of them today...
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you think fur should be used in fashion?
Related story: (See story)
Hell is other parents
Pals and playmates (pictures)
New Zealand's best deck built yesterday
What do the stars have in store for you today?
Rev up your mind with our numbers game
Test your knowledge with our daily crossword