Share your best beauty trickShare your stories, photos and videos.
There are plenty of beauty tips that we care not to listen to. Who actually throws out their mascara after six months? Do you really need to buy enough makeup brushes to rival an artist's palette? And will smooshing strawberries all over your teeth really give you a smile to rival Catherine Zeta Jones's? We ain't got time for that.
As a refreshing counter to articles like this, these beauty tips won't get in the way of you being your cheap and lazy self. And yes, they go well beyond dabbing toothpaste onto your pimples.
1. To avoid lipstick on your teeth like your fourth-grade teacher used to sport, stick your finger in your mouth and pull it out. This way your finger will take the excess product, not your teeth.
2. Concoct your own pout-plumping lip venom (and save yourself $30) by adding a drop of cinnamon or peppermint oil to your lip colour.
3. Vaseline costs you pocket change and has to be the most hard-working beauty product out there. (Yes, even harder working than paw paw ointment, if you can believe it.) Apply to lashes before bed to make them grow longer and thicker over time, use it to tame unruly eyebrows, apply to pulse points before spritzing your perfume to make the scent last longer, combine with sea salt to make a scrub and mix with lipstick to make a subtle cream blush.
4. Creepy, yes, but this is what contouring is actually supposed to look like before you blend. Kim K knows what we're talking 'bout.
Image via warosu.org.
5. Want glide-on, easy-to-apply gel eyeliner? Grab any kohl pencil eyeliner and heat it under a flame for one second before letting it cool for 15 seconds to liquefy and intensify the pigment.
6. Don't have a curler? Give yourself groovy, long-lasting waves by flat-ironing your braids with your hair staightener. Avoid making the braids too tight lest you like the crimped look.
7. Don't listen to Sally Hansen when she says you need to buy cuticle cream. Eye cream applied to your nail beds serves the same purpose.
8. Get your eyeshadow to pop by covering your eyelid in white eyeshadow first. The same applies to your nails - use a white base coat instead of a clear one for brighter-looking polish. A no-brainer, really.
9. While towels cause static and friction, drying your hair with a cotton T-shirt eliminates the frizz factor completely.
10. Adore glitter nail polish but can't stand the pain of taking it off? Apply a base coat of craft glue for an easily peelable manicure.
11. Don't have a steady hand? A dusting of baby powder between coats of mascara creates the fullness of falsies minus the hassle.
12. There's nothing worse than blotches of dry shampoo that could be mistaken for dandruff. Always apply it the night before, not the morning of, to prevent product build-up. (You can even make your own using cornstarch and cocoa powder.)
13. The secret to perfect winged eyeliner isn't sticky tape, but a teaspoon:
14. Want the perfect French tips? Create an even line along your fingernails by using a rubber band to delineate the section you are painting.
15. Want to give your lipstick long-wearing powers? After applying, hold a tissue over your lips and lightly dust with translucent powder to set the colour.
16. Stop! You're doing your eyebrows all wrong! According to this video, they ought to be shaped according to how wide or slim you want your nose to appear.
17. We've heard of heating our eyelash curler under our hairdryer to solidify the curl, but did you know that sticking your curler in your bra or between your thighs for a few minutes has the same warming effect? And there's no risk of singeing yourself.
18. Avoid mascara ruining your eyeshadow by using a business card as a shield.
19. Give yourself an easy ombre job at home by pulling hair back into a high ponytail.
20. Got a spot of foundation on your white shirt? A touch of shaving cream on a damp cloth should clear it right up.
21. You can reduce hair static and flyaways by slicking it with a dryer sheet.
22. There's no tougher wait than the time it takes your conditioner to work or your manicure to dry. Cut that drying time in half by dunking your nails in a bowl of cold water for two minutes shortly after painting.
23. Had a messy experience with leaky products in your suitcase? Hasn't everyone? Just unscrew the caps, place a layer of cling film over the top and screw them back to prevent any liquid from ruining your trip.
24. Get fuller-looking, popsicle-stained lips by stamping a touch of pale, frosted eyeshadow over your lip colour.
25. The ultimate lazy-broke girl trick? Wear minimal makeup a la Rachel McAdam's stripped down #NoMakeup cover for Allure this month:
- Daily Life