How-to: Get silky-smooth legs
If your legs haven't seen the light of day - or a razor - over the winter, you need these top 10 tips to ensure fuzz-free legs.
1. Shave your legs after a decent soaking in the shower or bath; the razor will glide over them smoother as wet hair is softer and easier to cut. Never shave your legs dry as your dead skin will clog the razor.
2. Always exfoliate your legs before shaving. Just like shaving dry, dead skin cells will clog your razor so it's best to remove them first.
3. Despite what the packaging says, there is no difference between men and women's shaving creams, gels and foams; in fact women's products can often be more expensive! It doesn't matter whether you pick a man's or woman's product, you might just have to sniff around to find a men's one that doesn't smell too 'manly'. Alternatively you can buy one that both you and your guy can use, like Primal Earth's His and Hers shave crème, designed with both of you in mind.
Try: Gillette Series Pure & Sensitive Shave Gel, $7.99; Kiehl's Flyin' Foaming Multi-Gel, $50; Primal Earth His and Hers Natural Active Sensitive Shave Crème, $8.99.
4. You can share shaving cream with your bloke, but never let him use your razor. Men's facial hair is coarser than women's leg hair and will blunt the razor in record time.
5. Always shave your legs in an upward motion, as the hair grows downwards. When shaving your armpits you'll need to shave in every direction as the hair grows at all different angles.
6. You don't have to use shaving products in order to get a clean shave. Want to know how the porn stars stay smooth? They shave their under-carriages with hair conditioner.
Try: Sunsilk Addictive Brilliant Shine Conditioner (to give you extra shine!), $3.99; Pantene Pro-V Aqua Light Conditioner, $8.50; Pureology Precious Oils Conditioner, $42.
7. Different strokes for different folks. With everything from disposable, rotating heads, electric motors and built-in soap styles on offer, it can be daunting choosing a razor. You may have to try a few before you find the right one for your legs. It also pays to ask friends for their recommendations.
Try: Schick Hydro-silk razor, $15.99; Queen of Shaves razor, $9.99; Venus Embrace Disposables 2 Pack, $9.99.
8. Ingrown hairs happen when individual curly hairs grow back into the skin. Reduce the chance of it happening by exfoliating regularly. Once your ingrown hair is removed, dab a bit of damp crushed aspirin or a dab of toothpaste to make the swelling and redness disappear.
9. Change your razor regularly - about every 5-10 shaves. Dull razors can create itchy skin and won't give you a close shave.
10. Avoid highly scented moisturisers after shaving as these can irritate the skin. Choose a rich and hydrating moisturising cream designed for sensitive skin.
Try: Cetaphil moisturiser, $15.50; Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturising Lotion, $16.50; St Ives Body Lotion 24 Hour Restoring, $9.99.
- © Fairfax NZ News