How to get runway-ready cat eye makeup
Makeup & Skincare
Do you struggle with the liquid eyeliner 'Flick'? Don't worry, we do too.
That's why we've found a fool-proof technique to getting your cat eye right every time.
Seen at Mara Hoffman, the Maybelline team created cat eyes full of drama. They're so hot that we want them right now.
HOW TO DO IT:
1. Tools. Getting the flick right is all about the tools. Novice eye flickers should hold off on the liquid liner, it's far too tricky. The product we love (and many pro makeup artists prefer too) is gel liner. Apply it with a tiny angle brush for easy precision. We adore Maybelline Eye Studio liner, $19.99; Bobbi Brown Long-wear gel liner, $52; and M.A.C Fluidline, $38.
2. Dip your brush into your pot of liner and stare straight into the mirror. With your eyes open make a tiny mark where you want your flick to end. Do this on each eye so you're sure they are even.
3. Now close the eye you're about to attack and draw your line from the mark you made, down and into the lashline, working in short sharp strokes. Quick note: Even the professionals rarely draw an eye flick in one single stroke - there's too much margin for error!
4. If you make a mistake don't worry - simply dunk a cotton tip in makeup remover, wipe away your stuff up and start again. Expect it to take a few attempts to get it right the first time.
5. For an intense cat eye follow up by running a black eyeliner pencil along the lower waterline. Dab a little brown eyeshadow into your lower lashes to stop the liner dropping, and finish with tonnes of mascara.
- © Fairfax NZ News
How much makeup do you wear?Related story: (See story)