Food & Wine
This sweet-and-sour chicken dish is fantastic. The opposing flavours of honey and sherry vinegar blend beautifully with the white flesh of the chicken and the toasted almonds. In the restaurant, we use farmed rabbit instead of chicken.
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Casserole|
|Cooking time||30 min - 1 hour|
AGRI DULCE CHICKEN WITH CARROTS & ALMONDS
|4 garlic cloves, chopped|
|3 bay leaves|
|100ml sherry vinegar|
|900ml chicken stock|
|100ml olive oil|
|10 chicken thigh fillets, skin on|
|1 tbsp thyme leaves|
|16 dutch carrots|
|200g blanched almonds, roasted|
|1/2 cup of raisins|
|1. Gently fry shallots and garlic in a heavy-based saucepan until lightly golden. Add honey and caramelise.
2. Add bay leaves, deglaze the pan using the vinegar, then add the stock. Bring to the boil, skimming off any impurities.
3. Place another large heavy-based saucepan on the heat and add olive oil. When hot, place seasoned chicken skin-side down to colour and seal the meat.
4. When it's golden, sprinkle with thyme and pour sauce over the meat, then cover with baking paper and foil. Turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes. When cooked, lift meat out gently. If the sauce is a bit thin, return to the boil and reduce it.
5. Blanch the carrots in salted boiling water. When ready to serve, add almonds and raisins to the sauce, then place the chicken and carrots on top.
6. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavours come together. Serve with polenta, couscous or roasted vegetables.
How does a strong cup of coffee make you feel?