Paper towels are a necessity at KFC, where the food is 'finger lickin' good'.
But English woman Krystal Henderson and her seven-year-old stepson Oliver got more than they bargained for when they took home chicken from a branch of the popular fast food joint in Newcastle, England.
When Oliver bit into the chicken, he was alarmed to discover it wasn't chicken at all - it was a deep-fried paper towel.
"He pulled it out of his mouth and when he did, it pulled away the batter - you could see the blue roll inside," Henderson said.
"The blue roll could have been used for anything - it could have bleach or disinfectant on it ... Had someone wiped their hands on it, had it been used to wipe the floor?"
Henderson returned to the store immediately and received a refund on the spot. KFC later apologised after investigating the incident.
"The blue tissue has most likely originated from a tissue roll used for KFC hygiene purposes. The store assume it must have fallen unseen into the breading lug that is under the sieve and was not noticed by the cook," it said.
"We take food quality and hygiene very seriously and unfortunately, on this extremely rare occasion, our restaurant failed to meet the high standards that both we and our customers expect."
The company offered Henderson a free meal.
Speaking of fast food and chicken ...