Recipe: Crumpets and oven-poached rhubarb
There isn't anything better than homemade crumpets with hot sweet and spicy rhubarb.
|¾ cup milk|
|¾ cup boiling water|
|2 tsp honey|
|1 Tbsp yeast|
|2 cups organic spelt flour|
|1 tsp fine mineral salt|
|¼ tsp baking soda|
|1 Tbsp water|
|Butter or vegetable oil for cooking|
1. Mix together milk, water, honey, yeast and two teaspoons of the spelt flour.
2. Sift the remaining flour into the bowl of the cake mixer and add salt. Attach the beater.
3. When the yeast mix is frothy (about 10 minutes) add to flour and beat on low until smooth, about 5 minutes. (Whisking by hand will work, too, but it needs to be smooth and will take 10-15 minutes.)
4. Scrape down the beater and the sides of the bowl. Cover with a tea towel and set aside for 40 minutes.
(To make in advance: Pour into a smaller bowl and cover with plastic wrap - sit it on the surface of the batter. Chill overnight.)
5. Before cooking, mix in baking soda and water and fold through.
6. Cook large spoonfuls in butter, 4 minutes on each side.
OVEN-POACHED ALLSPICE RHUBARB
|½ cup boiling water|
|Juice and zest of 1 orange|
|¼ cup honey|
|8-10 allspice berries or ½ tsp ground allspice|
1. Heat oven to 180C. Trim rhubarb to length of baking dish, and arrange in one layer.
2. Mix the water, juice and zest, honey and allspice together, and pour over rhubarb. Cover dish with a lid or foil.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, checking after 15. It may not look done, so press rhubarb gently with a spoon first. If it is soft it is done.
4. Cool completely in baking dish before transferring. Serve drizzled with sauce.
Sunday Star Times