Recipe: Kumara with pinto beans and spinach
When it comes to eating simple, there is nothing better than a big baked kumara - it is surprisingly delicious, filling, satisfying and good value.
Chilli flakes to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Wash kumara thoroughly and place in the hot oven.
2. Bake for about 35-40 minutes (depending on size) or until tender when you give them a little squeeze. Wrap your hand in a clean tea towel and, handling carefully as they will be very hot, give each kumara a little karate chop to fluff them up inside.
3. Place the spinach leaves one on top of the other and roll up like a cigar, then cut into fine ribbons.
4. Cut a cross into the top of each kumara and scoop out a good spoonful of flesh.
5. Place in bowl with beans, spinach, parsley, yeast and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Spoon the filling back inside each kumara and pop back in the oven for 10 minutes to heat through (or cover and chill and reheat when ready).
Serve with extra olive oil and chilli flakes.
Sunday Star Times