Recipe swap: winter warming recipesShare your stories, photos and videos.
This quick pasta is a vegetarian version of the classic spaghetti carbonara, and just as delicious without the meat.
MUSHROOM & SPINACH CARBONARA
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Pasta|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
|250g mushrooms, sliced (I use Portobello)|
|1⁄2 teaspoon salt|
180g wide lasagne noodles
|4 tablespoons creme fraiche|
|30g parmesan cheese, grated (or 80g crumbled blue cheese or feta)|
|200g spinach, stalks removed, sliced|
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and salt well.
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat then add the mushrooms and salt and fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until dark and tender.
3. While the mushrooms are cooking, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, creme fraiche and parmesan. Reserve.
5. When the mushrooms are cooked, add the spinach and a little of the pasta cooking water to the frying pan then stir over medium heat for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.
6. Drain the pasta and return to the saucepan over a low heat, along with the egg mixture. Heat, stirring, for a minute so that the eggs start to cook, then fold in the mushroom mixture. Season with pepper then serve.
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever