Recipe: Steak with duck fat chips
MAT MCLEAN - PALATE RESTAURANT, HAMILTON
What better way to enjoy a tasty porterhouse steak than with a crispy poached egg, duck fat chips and peppercorn sauce.
Plus - scroll down to be in to win some delicious porterhouse steaks.
PORTERHOUSE STEAK WITH DUCK FAT CHIPS
|1 pack porterhouse steaks|
|2 Tbsp olive oil|
|2 small eggs|
|2 potatoes, cut into chips|
|100g duck fat|
|6 crushed peppercorns|
|30 ml brandy|
|200 ml beef stock|
|Panko bread crumbs|
|Sea salt and pepper|
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Kid friendly|
|Cooking time||30 min - 1 hour|
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius.
2. Dry the potatoes with a paper towel.
3. Heat the duck fat in a heavy pan until smoking. Add the chips being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
4. Place in the oven. Keep turning the chips every ten minutes or so until golden. Season with sea salt and keep warm.
5. Rub steaks with olive oil, sea salt and pepper. In a hot pan cook the steaks for four minutes each side (med-rare).
6. While the steaks are cooking, bring a large pan of water to the boil and add vinegar to taste. Ladle eggs into the water.
7. When eggs are set, place into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Once the eggs are cold, remove them from the water and place on a paper towel.
8. Crumb the eggs and deep fry them just before serving.
9. Once the steaks are cooked, remove from the pan keeping the pan on heat.
10. Add the peppercorns and de-glaze with brandy. Add the beef stock letting it reduce to a syrupy sauce, then add the cream and reduce to a sauce consistency.
11. Season with sea salt and Worchestershire sauce, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Want to win some free steak?
To be in to win one of three sets of Silver Fern Farms Porterhouse Beef vouchers simply email your name, address and why you deserve this meaty prize to email@example.com by 2pm Friday 18 July.
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever