NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Baking|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
If you struggle to turn out decent homemade hot cross buns, this recipe could be your saviour. Why make buns when you can make hot cross chocolate muffins in half the time? This recipe really is Easter in one hit.
HOT CROSS CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
|250g dark chocolate buttons|
|2 cups self-raising flour|
|3 Tbsp cocoa|
|1 cup sugar|
|1 tsp mixed spice|
|1 pinch salt|
|1 Tbsp mixed peel|
|1 Tbsp lemon juice|
|100g white chocolate|
|1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with patty cases.
2. Melt butter and 150g chocolate buttons over simmering water, stir until smooth.
3. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
4. Stir through remaining chocolate buttons, sultanas and mixed peel.
5. Combine milk, eggs and lemon juice in a jug and pour into flour mixture.
6. Pour in melted chocolate and stir until just combined.
7. Spoon mix evenly into patty cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm to touch. When cool enough to handle, place on a wire rack to finish cooling.
8. Melt white chocolate over a saucepan of just-boiled water (white chocolate melts at a lower temperature than dark chocolate). Pipe white chocolate crosses over muffins and allow to set before serving.
- Sydney Morning Herald
Ratings & Reviews
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever