NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Sweet treat|
|Cooking time||1 - 2 hours|
Think sweet, think seductive: this heady and romantic dessert can't fail to win hearts.
ORANGE AND RICOTTA DOUGHNUTS
|300g ricotta, drained|
|¼ cup caster sugar, plus extra for dusting|
|½ tbsp grated lemon zest|
|1 tbsp grated orange zest|
|2 tbsp fresh orange juice|
|1 egg and 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten|
|½ cup plain flour|
|2 tbsp cornflour|
|1½ tsp baking powder|
|rice bran oil, for deep-frying|
1. Combine ricotta, caster sugar, zests, orange juice and eggs in a bowl.
2. Sift in flour, cornflour and baking powder and combine, but don't overwork the batter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. In a heavy-based saucepan, heat enough oil to cover a golf ball twice to 180°C. To test the temperature of the oil, sprinkle in some flour. If it sizzles, the oil is ready.
4. Use 2 spoons to shape mixture into quenelles, and cook, in batches of 2 doughnuts, for 2 minutes or until golden.
5. Drain on paper towel, dust with caster sugar and serve warm with coffee or your favourite dessert wine or sparkling.
CHOCOLATE DIPPING SAUCE
1. Heat ¾ cup milk and 200g dark chocolate in a bowl over gently simmering water. Once melted, beat until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, combine 2 tbsp caster sugar, 2½ tsp cornflour, pinch salt and ½ tbsp milk, then stir into chocolate mixture.
3. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in 30g butter and ½ tsp vanilla extract.
Serve in a dipping bowl with doughnuts.
Ratings & Reviews
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever