NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Casserole|
|Cooking time||1 - 2 hours|
|Serves/makes||4 - 6|
If you need a winter warmer, this easy fish pie is a sure thing. It's based on Jamie Oliver's easy method, so there's no white sauce to prepare and just potatoes and leek to pre-cook.
I have replaced the regular potato with golden kumara and added some cauliflower to the base.
This pie is best if you can use a variety of firm white fish, mixing a little bit of smoked fish, salmon or even prawns for flavour. Make sure that all the fish is scaled and pin boned, nothing worse than scales or bones with a mouthful of creamy mash.
|1kg mixed fish fillets (I used salmon, smoked fish and Hoki), cut into 2.5CM chunks|
|1 large leek, finely sliced|
|1/2 small cauliflower, cut into small florets|
|2 Tbsp butter|
|1.5kg golden kumara or potatoes, roughly chopped|
|1 Tbsp Dijon mustard|
|50g grated cheddar style cheese|
|100g Feta cheese, crumbled|
|Juice and zest of 1 lemon|
|Salt and pepper|
|1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2, In a ceramic or Pyrex dish that can be used on direct heat add one tablespoon of butter and place over a low heat.
3. Add the leeks and cook for 10 minutes until they are soft.
4. Put the kumara with 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a large saucespan of water and bring to the boil, cook until just tender.
5. Drain the kumara and add a tablespoon of butter and mash with a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the cream, feta and mustard to the leeks in the dish and stir thoroughly, then turn off the heat.
7. Add the fish chunks, lemon juice, zest and cauliflower florets to the dish and stir so everything is coated with sauce.
8. Spread the mashed kumara and potato over the fish mixture. Sprinkle the grated cheddar over the top.
9. Cook for 45-50 minutes or until golden and crisp on top and the filling is bubbling.
For more recipes like this visit Pease Pudding.
- Fairfax Media
Ratings & Reviews
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever