It's fine to use store bought pastry for this, but making your own should only take about 15 minutes.
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Baking|
|Cooking time||30 min - 1 hour|
|200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2 cup cold water|
|15 medium to large silverbeet leaves, washed and dried|
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|1/2 onion, finely diced|
|150g mozzarella cheese, cut into 2cm dice|
|1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped|
|Salt and pepper|
|1 large kumara, peeled and cut into 3cm dice|
|1. For the pastry, add flour and salt to food processor and blend briefly.
2. Pour olive oil into a small jug, then add water and mix. With food processor running, pour oil and water into flour. Keep processing until dough forms a ball.
3. Lightly dust workbench with flour and knead dough for about a minute. Place dough in a large bowl, cover with a dry tea towel and leave for 1 hour to rest at room temperature.
4. Pre-heat oven to 200C.
5. For filling, remove leaves from silverbeet stalks and finely chop stalks. Rinse leaves and chop, then place in a bowl with stalks.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add onion and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat. Add silverbeet and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from saucepan and cool to room temperature. Add mozzarella, parsley and egg, and season. Boil kumara until tender, add to mixture.
7. Brush a flat baking tray with oil. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry into a large circle and lift onto tray.
8. Place filling onto pastry, leaving about 5 centimetres around the edge. Roll out remaining pastry for top of pie. Place over filling and squeeze together edges to seal the pie. Prick the top with a fork and brush with oil.
9. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Good Food
Ratings & Reviews
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever