Quick and healthy Moussaka recipe
|1kg eggplant, trimmed and thickly sliced|
|olive oil spray|
|1 brown onion, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|400g lean lamb mince|
|400g can diced tomatoes|
|2 tsp dried oregano|
|1/2 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1/2 tsp ground allspice|
|freshly ground black pepper|
|1 1/2 tbsp cornflour|
|1 1/2 cups low-kilojoule milk|
|¾ cup grated parmesan|
|1 egg yolk|
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Bring some water to boil in a saucepan with a steamer insert, steam eggplant for 10 minutes until soft, then drain on paper towel.
3. Meanwhile, lightly spray a large frying pan with olive oil and heat on medium. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes until softened.
4. Increase heat to high and add mince. Cook for 5 minutes (breaking up any lumps with a spoon) until brown and liquid has evaporated.
5. Add tomatoes, oregano and spices, and season with pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
6. Combine cornflour and ¼ cup of milk in a jug. Pour remaining milk into a saucepan and bring to boil on high, then whisk in cornflour mixture.
7. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in parmesan and egg yolk.
8. Line base of an 8-cup ovenproof dish with a third of the steamed eggplant and top with half of lamb mixture. Repeat layers, then top with remaining eggplant and spoon over white sauce.
9. Bake for 45 minutes until golden. Stand for 10 minutes.
10. Serve hot or at room temperature with mixed leaves.
Recipe from The No Excuses Cookbook (Viking) by Michelle Bridges, photography by Nick Wilson.
- Daily Life