Got a great recipe? Share it with NZShare your stories, photos and videos.
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Mexican|
SOFT TACOS WITH SMOKY SHREDDED PORK
|800g boneless pork shoulder|
|4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped|
|1 medium brown onion, cut in half|
|2 tbsp olive oil|
|1 1/2 cup raisins|
|16 corn tortillas|
|sour cream, homemade guacamole to serve|
|For the roasted tomato chipotle sauce|
|4 garlic cloves, unpeeled|
|9 roma tomatoes|
|3 chipotle chillies in adobo sauce|
|1 tbsp olive oil|
1. Place pork in a medium saucepan with garlic and onion. Add a good pinch of salt, cover with water and bring to a simmer.
2. Cook covered for 1 1/2-2 hours on low-medium heat until the pork is tender.
3. Allow to cool before shredding the meat with your hands.
4. For the sauce, heat a heavy-based pan over high heat and add the unpeeled garlic.
5. Roast for 15 minutes, turning halfway through, until outside is blackened.
6. Remove from heat, squeeze the garlic flesh out of skins and roughly chop.
7. Place tomatoes under a preheated oven grill and cook until the skins are dark and blistered on all sides.
8. Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly before peeling.
9. Place tomatoes and garlic in a food processor and blend.
10. Add chillies one at a time and process to combine. Taste the sauce as you go, adding chillies until you achieve the heat level you prefer.
11. In a non-stick saucepan, heat 1 tbsp oil and coat the pan, then cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it has thickened slightly. Season to taste with sea salt.
12. In a heavy-based pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the shredded pork and cook until it is crispy and golden. Add the raisins and tomato chipotle sauce and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until mixture has thickened.
13. To serve, microwave the tortillas 4-6 at a time for about 40 seconds, to soften and warm through. Place a spoonful of the pork in each tortilla and top with salsa and guacamole and a dollop of sour cream.
If you don't have a microwave, the tortillas can also be steamed in a bamboo steamer or warmed one at a time in a dry, non-stick pan.
Complete your Mexican feast with an icy-cold Corona beer or margarita.
Ratings & Reviews
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever