Incredibly wonderful chocolate cake
Based on a recipe first published in a slightly different form by Elizabeth David as a Chocolate and Almond Cake in French Provincial Cooking. It is rich, dense and slightly fudgy, but not as cloying as mudcake.
|250g dark, bitter cooking chocolate|
|150g castor sugar|
|100g ground almonds|
|5 free-range eggs, separated|
1. Heat oven to 180C.
2. Melt chocolate, sugar and butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water.
3. Remove from heat, stir thoroughly to combine, mix in ground almonds, then beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff and peaked, and stir a couple of spoonfuls into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, before gently folding in the rest.
5. Turn into a buttered and floured 20cm round tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
6. Leave to cool before removing from tin. Dust with icing sugar to serve.