Your favourite family recipesShare your stories, photos and videos.
A hearty summer gnocchi could be just the thing to get you through a long afternoon or evening.
The tomato and basil sauce would also work nicely alongside a crumbed piece of veal or chicken.
You can use the tomato and basil sauce in an oven bake. Sear 6 pieces of chicken thigh fillet until browned and place in an ovenproof dish. Pour over the tomato basil sauce, and top with freshly grated mozzarella and parmesan. Serve with a simple green salad.
Take the time to make your own gnocchi. The key is, don't work the dough too hard.
PAN-FRIED GNOCCHI WITH ROAST TOMATO AND BASIL SAUCE AND CRISPY PANCETTA
|400g fresh gnocchi|
|olive oil, for frying|
|100g pancetta, thinly sliced|
|freshly grated parmesan, to serve|
|Tomato and basil sauce|
|1½ kg very ripe vine-ripened tomatoes|
|100ml extra virgin olive oil|
|40ml red wine vinegar|
|2 tbsp finely chopped thyme|
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1 heaped tsp caster sugar|
|sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|½ cup of basil leaves, finely chopped|
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Italian|
1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
2. To make the sauce, remove the cores and lightly score the bases of the tomatoes using a small, sharp knife.
3. Place the tomatoes in a large baking dish, base side up and drizzle with the olive oil, vinegar and thyme. Roast the tomatoes, uncovered, for about 1½ hours or until they are very soft and the skin is peeling away.
4. Cool slightly. Remove and discard the tomato skins. Roughly chop the flesh and add to a medium heavy-based pan with any leftover juices, as well as the garlic and sugar. Season to taste and simmer uncovered over a low-medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently until the sauce has thickened. Stir through the basil leaves and check the seasoning.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi and bring to a simmer. Once cooked and floating, remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon and drain well.
6. In a large non-stick pan, heat some olive oil. Pan-fry gnocchi until golden brown, being careful not to break them. Remove from pan and set aside.
7. To the same pan, add a splash of olive oil and fry the pancetta until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
8. Divide the gnocchi between 4 pasta bowls, top with tomato and basil sauce, crispy pancetta, a drizzle of olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper and grated parmesan.
- Good Food
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever