Meringue and what you can do with it is consistently underrated. Plain, vanilla, chocolate, fruit laden - the list is long, large and, in my mind, exciting.
Meringues are the food that most of us would love to eat, probably daily.
Better than that, they are super easy, are a great way to use up left over eggwhites and they keep pretty well in an airtight container for whenever the "cup of tea and something" urge comes calling.
They are a morning, afternoon, late evening superfood and this version with Nutella, well it's perfection in chocolate form.
CHOCOLATE DRIZZLED NUTELLA MERINGUES
|6 large eggwhites, room temperature|
|1 tsp lemon juice|
|280g caster sugar|
|2-3 tbsp Nutella, softened in the microwave|
|150g good quality couveture dark chocolate, melted for drizzling|
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Sweet treat|
|Cooking time||1 - 2 hours|
1. For the meringues, preheat oven to 120C.
2. Whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then, whisking continuously, gradually add caster sugar and whisk until glossy.
3. Add lemon juice and whisk again until sugar has dissolved.
4. Use a piping bag or spoon and place dollops of the beaten eggwhites onto a prepared baking tray.
5. Gently swirl nutella through the top of each meringue.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until set. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues inside to dry for another hour.
7. Before serving, drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Daily Life
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever