30-minute recipes for busy Kiwi familiesShare your stories, photos and videos.
Bring a little bit of Italy to your next meat dish with this spicy and versatile Mediterranean-inspired sauce.
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Italian|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
|Special options||Dairy & Gluten-free|
|4 x 200g fillet steaks|
|2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil|
|4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped|
|1/4 tsp mild chilli flakes|
|leaves from 3 fresh oregano sprigs, chopped|
|1 cup white wine|
|1 cup tomato puree|
|1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped|
|freshly ground black pepper|
1. Cut the steaks in half and place them between pieces of greaseproof paper. Press down on them with a rolling pin until they're about 1/2 cm thick, minute steak-style. Season steaks on both sides with salt.
2. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based pan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, then add the steaks. Quickly brown the steaks for about 1 minute on each side, remove from the pan and transfer to a warmed plate.
3. Add the chilli flakes and oregano to the hot pan, then add wine and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon and scraping the pan, until the liquid is slightly reduced - about 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomato puree, stir, then return the steaks to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook the steaks for between 3 to 5 minutes, turning steaks once, halfway through.
5. Place steaks on a serving dish, pour sauce over them and garnish with the chopped parsley and a good grind of black pepper.
- Good Food
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever