NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Quick and easy|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
|Serves/makes||Makes about 3 cups.|
|100g raw almonds, soaked overnight and drained if wished|
|lots of basil, perhaps 6 super large handfuls|
|1 cup GM-free canola oil (any neutral oil will work)|
|1 cup of white wine vinegar|
|1 clove of garlic|
|75g grated Parmesan|
|1-2 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper|
1. Place the almonds in a blender and whiz until finely ground (you can use ground almonds).
2. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until a paste begins to form. Taste and adjust the salt, pepper or olive oil. Pulse and taste again and adjust again if necessary.
3. Continue to pulse until a good smooth texture is reached.
4. Spoon into sterilised jars and bang on the bench a few times to remove air bubbles.
5. Pour a few spoonfuls of extra virgin olive oil over the top to further reduce the chance of air spoiling the pesto. Seal and store in the fridge. I have frozen this pesto successfully in glass jars.
- Sunday Star Times
Ratings & Reviews
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever