NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Roast|
|Cooking time||30 min - 1 hour|
This delicious recipe is based on the 2013 Silver Fern Farms Premier Selection Award-winning dish that earned Mat McLean of Hamilton's Palate Restaurant the title of Premier Master of Fine Cuisine.
Luckily, it has been somewhat adapted for the home cooks amongst us.
Mat McLean's award-winning Tenderloin Eye Fillet
|300ml brown beef stock|
|300g beef tenderloin eye fillet steak|
|2 star anise|
|1 red chilli, sliced|
|3 garlic cloves, sliced|
|1 small knob ginger, sliced|
|1 small cinnamon stick|
|50ml soy sauce|
|200g smoked butter|
1. Put the stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil then add the star anise, chilli, garlic, ginger and cinnamon stick.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the liquid is reduced by about two-thirds and you have a thick glaze consistency.
3. Stir in the soy sauce, remove the saucepan from the heat and slowly whisk in the butter until it is melted and combined. Strain the sauce through a sieve and discard the chilli, garlic, ginger and spices.
4. Preheat a barbecue grill or grill pan to very hot. Pat the eye fillet dry on kitchen paper and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Grill the steak to medium-rare then remove from the pan and rest in a warm place (on the rack under the open barbecue lid is a good option) for at least 5 minutes before slicing and serving topped with the sauce.
This is great served with kumara wedges and a simple salad of quickly fried mushrooms, sliced fresh radishes and fresh coriander leaves.
Mat's tip: The leftover sauce can be frozen and is great used in a stir-fry.
WIN! To celebrate the fabulous restaurants that came out tops in the inaugural Silver Fern Farms Premier Selection Awards we have one $100 voucher to give away from four of the best eateries involved in the competition.
These are: Palate Restaurant, Hamilton; Molten Restaurant, Auckland; Logan Brown, Wellington; Pier 24 Restaurant & Bar, Dunedin. To be in to win email email@example.com with the name of your favourite beef dish and the eatery you'd like to visit by 12pm Monday 17th.
Ratings & Reviews
If you had to, which would you give up for a week?Related story: The best chocolate recipes ever