Pasta is an ideal meal for the midweek rush, and this one never fails to please.
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Italian|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
Pumpkin & chorizo rigatoni
|800g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, diced 2cm|
|4 tablespoons (60ml) olive oil|
|2 large handfuls rocket leaves, stalks trimmed|
|1⁄2 cup flat-leafed parsley leaves|
|2 garlic cloves, crushed|
|zest and juice of 1 lemon|
|300g rigatoni pasta|
|2 chorizo sausages, thinly sliced|
|100g baby spinach leaves|
|200g baby bocconcini cheese, coarsely torn|
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
2. Arrange the pumpkin on a baking-paper-lined oven tray and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, coarsely chop half the rocket and half the parsley. Put in a mortar with the garlic and pound until finely crushed. Add the remaining oil, lemon zest and juice and stir to combine (or use a small food processor). Season and reserve.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to the packet directions until al dente. Drain well. Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, turning, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Add the pumpkin, pasta, spinach and rocket mix and gently toss to combine. Remove from the heat.
5. Add the bocconcini, remaining rocket and parsley to the pasta and toss to combine. Divide among 4 serving bowls and serve immediately.
Recipe and food styling by Sarah Hobbs; Photography by Steve Brown; Styling by Kristine Duran-Thiessen.