We're big fritter fans at Cuisine and these are vegetarian, gluten-free and packed with flavour.
CARROT & HALOUMI FRITTERS WITH CHICKPEAS & SPINACH
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Vegetarian|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
|4 (about 400g) carrots, peeled, coarsely grated|
|250g haloumi cheese, coarsely grated|
|250g firm ricotta|
|1 egg, lightly beaten|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained|
|1 clove garlic, crushed|
|2 teaspoons smoked paprika|
|150g baby spinach leaves|
1. Put the carrots, haloumi, ricotta and egg in a large bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then mix well to combine.
2. Divide the mixture into 12 even portions and shape each into an 8cm-wide patty.
3. Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 4 of the patties and cook for 1 1⁄2 minutes or until golden underneath. Use a spatula to carefully turn each patty and cook for a further 2 minutes or until golden.
4. Transfer to serving plates. Repeat in 2 more batches with the remaining patties.
5. Heat the remaining oil in the same frying pan. Add the chickpeas, garlic and paprika and cook, tossing, for 1 minute.
6. Add the spinach and cook, tossing, for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach has just wilted and the mix is heated through. Serve immediately with the fritters.