Recipe: Double coconut ice cream
This rich and creamy ice cream can be made without an ice cream machine if necessary (see cook's note below).
6 egg yolks
500ml coconut cream
150g caster sugar
3 tablespoons desiccated coconut, lightly toasted
Lightly toasted coconut chips for garnish
1. Lightly whisk egg yolks in a large heat-proof bowl. Place coconut cream, cream and caster sugar in a saucepan and warm over a gentle heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a gentle simmer and remove from heat.
2. Stand the cream mixture for 5 minutes before gradually whisking it into egg yolks until smooth.
3. Return mixture to saucepan and bring nearly to simmering point, stirring constantly and cooking without boiling until the custard mixture will coat the back of a spoon.
4. Pour through a sieve into a clean bowl and stir in desiccated coconut. Cover with plastic wrap and cool before churning in an ice cream machine.
5. Transfer to a sealable freezer container and freeze until ready to serve. Serve with a scattering of lightly toasted coconut chips. Serves 4-6
Cook's note: If you do not have an ice cream machine, freeze in a shallow plastic dish and whisk every couple of hours to break down the frozen edges. Then freeze until ready to use.
For more like this, subscribe to NZ House & Garden at mags4gifts.co.nz
- NZ House & Garden