Train services on the Kapiti line have returned to normal after a fire, sparked by a train, closed the line through the morning peak.
Eighteen train services had to be cancelled, with some bus replacements, as a result of the fire, a Tranz Metro spokesman said.
The fire started about 7am near Pukerua Bay, north of Porirua.It was caused by a faulty pantograph - the part that connects the train to the overhead wires - which damaged the overhead wires.
The cable was replaced and services resumed on the line at noon.
A Fire Service spokesman said the vegetation fire covered about 10 square metres near the railway line.
It was mostly put out by 7.30am.
- The Dominion Post
Is food too expensive to have a traditional Christmas dinner?Related story: Christmas dinner costing more than presents